Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tunes You Play: Highlighting Terrific Music From Video Games

I know I am the weirdo in this case, but I REALLY love instrumental/soundtrack music. There is something about music without lyrics that speaks to the heart. It makes you focus on the tone and mood rather than words. It touches emotions rather than simply logic. It is the backbone to all music.

One area that does not get a fair shake here is video game music. Call me an uber nerd, but I think gaming has some absolutely terrific scores to reference to. Don't believe me? Check out this selection of fantastic gaming scores to listen for yourself. I will refrain from using the obvious ones only because we know how awesome they are (Metroid, Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, etc):

Mass Effect 3- I Was Lost Without You (Sam Hulick)


Freedom Fighters- Main Title (Jesper Kyd)


Gears of War- Gears of War (Kevin Riepl)


Halo 3- Wake Me When You Need Me (Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori)

Bully- Bully Main Theme (Shawn Lee)
Heavy Rain- Painful Memories (Normand Corbeil)
Mass Effect 2- Reflections (Jack Wall)
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy- Main Title (Angelo Badalamenti)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves- Nate's Theme 2.0 (Greg Edmundson)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater- "METAL GEAR SOLID" Main Theme (Harry Gregson-Williams)

No comments:

Post a Comment