Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Textual Poaching Assignment

***NOTE***Please forgive the watermark. It was the only way I could get the footage on my Final Cut Pro.




-->
Artist's Statement

“He's a goofy kid. Everyone sees the big, hard, tough guy, silent, really. He's just a big goofball.” - Bobby Frasor

There is just no way to hide it. Sometimes we have to own up to elements of our personality that we try to suppress out of fear. We want to create something different for ourselves, an identity that fits what is acceptable and enjoyed by the public. It can appear artificial or mechanical. Within the confines of my identity however, there is always one comforting reminder I can come back to when I need a pick me up. It boils down to one little sentence: I am a closeted goofball! It may not be apparent to many people, as I have been told I can come off rather serious and strong willed in many aspects. And yet this is that small part of my personality I have tried to preserve and craft over the years as a means to handle situations. I am sure many of us can understand this duality and how what others perceive is not always what is actually inside.
Thinking about this, two pieces of media came to my mind. The first one was Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times, his classic satire on the rise of industry. Comedy always seems to be an outlet for people to set their lighter and goofier sides loose. Watching the opening acts of the film helped me make a connection I had not otherwise. The arc of this intro shows a seemingly stressed and overworked man becoming a loose cannon when he has had more than he can take. As I saw it, it’s not so much that Chaplin’s character is going insane as it is revealing the bottled up wackiness to handle stress. While he certainly reacts crazier than I would, the way it is expressed spoke to me personally. And with the turmoil and drama in his own life, what better way for Chaplin to show off his lighter side than through a variation of his goofy alter ego The Tramp?
The other piece was Jamiroquai’s Virtual Insanity; his hit single about the way technology drives the world crazier. Other than noticing crazy was a consistent theme with this and Modern Times, I also remember how amazed I was not only the song itself but its music video. The lyrics juxtaposed with the imagery of dancing to a constantly moving room seemed almost the inverse of the previous example. Rather than letting the world pry open his wackiness, Jamiroquai integrates it as a part of himself to counter the problem. It’s not so much hiding as it is putting something in such plain light it is just a part of you. Putting this alongside Modern Times felt fitting because of it.
The actual re-editing and assembly of the movie was an entirely different beast. Along with the long time processing the movie footage, the direction of what I wanted to do was not always clear. The vagueness and imminent due date loomed over my mind and caused stress. I figured maybe I could parallel the influence of technology and how technology was a part of my personality to the point of being crazy. Feedback from roommates and friends online countered this idea. It never really struck them that way. They commented on how wacky it seemed, which was so contrary to their perception of me. That is when the idea solidified itself. I decided to let the video progress more naturally in that wackiness. I even toyed around with a few aesthetic choices, like the motion blur of Chaplin going around the gears back and forth. I needed to let that part of me edit the film and I felt that part was expressed.
 It is hard to quantify this part of my identity to others, yet it is a part I feel others can relate to. We can all be a father, a religious man, a fireman or whatever title we assert. Yet inherently, there is that inner personality we conceal that shows something about our true selves. We can call it a “goofball” or whatever, but it is that side only certain people truly see and only comes when it is invited for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment